The Brandenburg Gate or Brandenburger Tor, 18th century, a neoclassical triumphal arch marking one of the old city gates of Berlin, at the end of Unter den Linden, Berlin, Germany. The gate was commissioned by King Frederick William II of Prussia as a sign of peace and built by Carl Gotthard Langhans 1788-91. It stood inaccessible next to the Berlin Wall during Germany's Partition and was restored 2000-02 by the Stiftung Denkmalschutz Berlin. It consists of 12 Doric columns and is topped by a statue of a quadriga, a chariot pulled by 4 horses. Picture by Manuel Cohen

LC14_BERLIN_MC0272.jpg

1 of 1

The Brandenburg Gate or Brandenburger Tor, 18th century, a neoclassical triumphal arch marking one of the old city gates of Berlin, at the end of Unter den Linden, Berlin, Germany. The gate was commissioned by King Frederick William II of Prussia as a sign of peace and built by Carl Gotthard Langhans 1788-91. It stood inaccessible next to the Berlin Wall during Germany's Partition and was restored 2000-02 by the Stiftung Denkmalschutz Berlin. It consists of 12 Doric columns and is topped by a...
more »


Copyright © Manuel Cohen

4.0MB
5409x3459
Keywords:
18th century
architecture
Berlin
Brandenburg Gate
Brandenburger Tor
bronze
building
capital city
chariot
city
city gate
column
day
doric
Europe
European
exterior
frieze pediment
gate
German
Germany
heritage
history
horizontal
neoclassical
outdoors
outside
Porte de Brandebourg
quadriga
road
sculpture
statue
tourism
tourist attraction
town
travel
triumphal gate
Unter den Linden
Western Europe
Western European