Statue called Lion flairant un cadavre (Lion smelling a cadaver), created by Henri Jacquemart circa 1855 and located at the bottom of the Labyrinth in the Jardin des Plantes, Paris, 5th arrondissement, France. The 'Lion flairant un cadavre' together with the 'Lion de menagerie baillant, un chien entre les pattes' were probably commissionned by Le Louvre circa 1852 for a colonnade and were finally allocated to the Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle circa 1857. Founded in 1626 by Guy de La Brosse, Louis XIII's physician, the Jardin des Plantes, originally known as the Jardin du Roi, opened to the public in 1640. It became the Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle in 1793 during the French Revolution. Picture by Manuel Cohen

LC_JDP_10_MC165.jpg

1 of 1

Statue called Lion flairant un cadavre (Lion smelling a cadaver), created by Henri Jacquemart circa 1855 and located at the bottom of the Labyrinth in the Jardin des Plantes, Paris, 5th arrondissement, France. The 'Lion flairant un cadavre' together with the 'Lion de menagerie baillant, un chien entre les pattes' were probably commissionned by Le Louvre circa 1852 for a colonnade and were finally allocated to the Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle circa 1857. Founded in 1626 by Guy de La...
more »


Copyright © Manuel Cohen

3.3MB
5616x3744
Keywords:
13
1626
1793
17th
18th
5th
Age of Enlightenment
Antoine-Laurent de Jussieu
arrondissement
autumn
autumnal
botanic
botanical
Botanical Gardens
botany
Buffon
century
city
color
colour
culture
Cuvier
day
Europe
European
exterior
France
French
garden
gardens
Guy de La Brosse
Heritage
horizontal
horticultural
horticulture
image
Jacques Henri Bernardin de Saint-Pierre
Jardin des Plantes
Jardin du Roi
Jean Jacques Rousseau
Jean-Baptiste de Monet de Lamarck
landscape
Louis
Louis Jean-Marie d'Aubenton
Louis XIII
Lumieres
medicinal
medicine
Michel-EugËne Chevreul
museum
Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle
natural
nature
outdoors
outside
Paris
photograph
photography
plants
research
revolution
sciences
scientific
sculpture
statue
Theodore Monod
tourist attraction
town
travel
XIII