A double-sided comb made from bone with carved decoration, 10th - 11th centuries, from the 1994 excavations led by Francois Blary, from the North section of the upper courtyard in the kitchen area at the medieval castle of Chateau-Thierry, Picardy, France. The first fortifications on this spur over the river Marne date from the 4th century and the first castle was built in the 9th century Merovingian period by the counts of Vermandois. Thibaud II enlarged the castle in the 12th century and built the Tour Thibaud, and Thibaud IV expanded it significantly in the 13th century to include 17 defensive towers in the walls and an East and South gate. The castle was largely destroyed in the French Revolution after having been a royal palace since 1285. In 1814 it was used as a citadel for Napoleonic troops. Picture by Manuel Cohen

LC14_France_MC305.jpg

1 of 1

A double-sided comb made from bone with carved decoration, 10th - 11th centuries, from the 1994 excavations led by Francois Blary, from the North section of the upper courtyard in the kitchen area at the medieval castle of Chateau-Thierry, Picardy, France. The first fortifications on this spur over the river Marne date from the 4th century and the first castle was built in the 9th century Merovingian period by the counts of Vermandois. Thibaud II enlarged the castle in the 12th century and...
more »


Copyright Manuel Cohen

3.4MB
5262x3534
Keywords:
10th century
11th century
1994
Aisne
archaeological
archaeology
archeological
archeology
artefact
beauty
bone
carved
castle
chateau
Chateau Thierry
Chateau-Thierry
color
color image
colour
colour image
comb
decoration
defence
defensive
dig
double-sided
Europe
European
excavated
excavation
fort
fortress
France
Francois Blary
French
heritage
history
hole
horizontal
image
indoors
inside
interior
Marne
medieval
middle ages
North section
object
photograph
photography
Picardy
teeth
tool
tooth
upper courtyard
Western Europe
Western European
white background