The Ossuaire de Douaumont or Douaumont Ossuary, designed by Leon Azema, Max Edrei and Jacques Hardy, inaugurated 7th August 1932 by French President Albert Lebrun, to house the remains of French and German soldiers who died at the Battle of Verdun in World War One, at Douaumont, Verdun, Meuse, Lorraine, France. The ossuary contains the remains of over 130,000 soldiers and the adjoining military cemetery holds 16,142 graves. This is the largest single French military cemetery of the First World War and was inaugurated in 1923 by Verdun veteran Andre Maginot. It has been listed as a national cemetery. Picture by Manuel Cohen

LC15_VERDUN_MC009.jpg

1 of 1

The Ossuaire de Douaumont or Douaumont Ossuary, designed by Leon Azema, Max Edrei and Jacques Hardy, inaugurated 7th August 1932 by French President Albert Lebrun, to house the remains of French and German soldiers who died at the Battle of Verdun in World War One, at Douaumont, Verdun, Meuse, Lorraine, France. The ossuary contains the remains of over 130,000 soldiers and the adjoining military cemetery holds 16,142 graves. This is the largest single French military cemetery of the First...
more »


Copyright © Manuel Cohen

8.9MB
8502x5310
Keywords:
1920s
1923
1930s
1932
20th century
architecture
battle
Battle of Verdun
battlefield
body
building
cemetery
color
color image
colour
colour image
cross
day
death
Douaumont
Douaumont Ossuary
Europe
European
exterior
First World War
France
French
grave
graveyard
Great War
heritage
history
horizontal
image
Leon Azema
Lorraine
Max Edrei and Jacques Hardy
memorial
Meuse
military
military cemetery
monument
national cemetery
necropole nationale
Ossuaire de Douaumont
ossuary
outdoors
outside
remains
remembrance
row
soldier
tourism
tourist attraction
tower
travel
unknown soldier
Verdun
war
Western Europe
Western European
World War One
WWI