Hypostyle prayer hall, area built under Prince Abd Al-Rahman II, begun 832, in the Cathedral-Great Mosque of Cordoba, in Cordoba, Andalusia, Southern Spain. The hall is filled with rows of columns topped with double arches in stripes of red brick and white stone. The first church built here by the Visigoths in the 7th century was split in half by the Moors, becoming half church, half mosque. In 784, the Great Mosque of Cordoba was begun in its place and developed over 200 years, but in 1236 it was converted into a catholic church, with a Renaissance cathedral nave built in the 16th century. The historic centre of Cordoba is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Picture by Manuel Cohen

LC15_SPAIN_MC186.jpg

1 of 1

Hypostyle prayer hall, area built under Prince Abd Al-Rahman II, begun 832, in the Cathedral-Great Mosque of Cordoba, in Cordoba, Andalusia, Southern Spain. The hall is filled with rows of columns topped with double arches in stripes of red brick and white stone. The first church built here by the Visigoths in the 7th century was split in half by the Moors, becoming half church, half mosque. In 784, the Great Mosque of Cordoba was begun in its place and developed over 200 years, but in 1236...
more »


Copyright © Manuel Cohen

8.0MB
6753x4392
Keywords:
9th century
Abd Al-Rahman II
al-Andalus
Andalucia
Andalucian
Andalusia
Andalusian
arch
architecture
belief
building
caliph
capital
Catedral de Cordoba
Catedral de Nuestra Senora de la Asuncion
cathedral
Cathedral of Cordoba
Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption
catholic
catholicism
christian
christianity
color
colour
column
Cordoba
Cordova
crucifixion
double arch
Europe
European
faith
Grand Mosque
Great Mosque
Great Mosque of Cordoba
heritage
history
horizontal
hypostyle
Iberia
Iberian Peninsula
image
indoors
inside
interior
Islam
Islamic architecture
lighting
maghreb
Mezquita de Cordoba
Mezquita-Catedral
moslem
mosque
muslim
prayer hall
religion
religious
Roman
sacred
Southern Europe
Southern European
Spain
Spanish
tourism
tourist attraction
travel
UNESCO
UNESCO World Heritage Site