The Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-l'Europe, or Chapel of Our Lady of Europe, a memorial chapel built 1934 by Louis-Alfred Berthemy, on the site of a church in the village of Fleury-devant-Douaumont, Verdun, Meuse, Lorraine, France, which was completely destroyed in the Battle of Verdun in World War One. Prior to the war the village had 400 inhabitants but found itself on the front line, was destroyed and never rebuilt. The chapel is a site of remembrance. Picture by Manuel Cohen

LC15_VERDUN_MC017.jpg

1 of 1

The Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-l'Europe, or Chapel of Our Lady of Europe, a memorial chapel built 1934 by Louis-Alfred Berthemy, on the site of a church in the village of Fleury-devant-Douaumont, Verdun, Meuse, Lorraine, France, which was completely destroyed in the Battle of Verdun in World War One. Prior to the war the village had 400 inhabitants but found itself on the front line, was destroyed and never rebuilt. The chapel is a site of remembrance. Picture by Manuel Cohen

Copyright © Manuel Cohen

19.7MB
7677x4979
Keywords:
1930s
1934
20th century
battle
Battle of Verdun
battlefield
belief
chapel
Chapel of Our Lady of Europe
Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-l'Europe
christian
christianity
color
color image
colour
colour image
commemorative
day
destroyed
Europe
European
exterior
faith
First World War
Fleury
Fleury-devant-Douaumont
France
French
Great War
heritage
history
horizontal
image
Lorraine
Louis-Alfred Berthemy
memorial chapel
Meuse
military
outdoors
outside
religion
religious
remembrance
sacred
tourism
tourist attraction
travel
Verdun
village
war
Western Europe
Western European
World War One
WWI