1 of 1
Side wall of the Porte Saint Jean, or St John's Gate, built 1286-1306, at the medieval castle of Chateau-Thierry, Picardy, France. The first fortifications on this spur over the river Marne date from the 4th century and the first castle was built in the 9th century Merovingian period by the counts of Vermandois. Thibaud II enlarged the castle in the 12th century and built the Tour Thibaud, and Thibaud IV expanded it significantly in the 13th century to include 17 defensive towers in the walls...
Copyright Manuel Cohen 6.8MB